SF Bay Area Services for Family Caregivers
Who We Serve
FCA serves as the Bay Area's Caregiver Resource Center―there are Caregiver Resource Centers throughout California.
For residents of the six county San Francisco Bay Area, FCA serves as a point of entry to specialized caregiver services. We work with families caring for someone with an adult-onset brain impairment such as Alzheimer's disease, stroke, Parkinson's, MS, ALS, Huntington's disease, TBI, AIDS dementia and brain tumor, regardless of the care recipient's age. We also assist family caregivers of adults 60 years old or above, regardless of caregiver income-level or loved one's diagnosis, in the following counties: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco and San Mateo.
Family Consultations: Information and Referral
Family Consultants have master's degrees in social work or gerontology, and can provide emotional support as well as:
- An in-depth home assessment to help define your individual care situation
- A care planning session to meet your caregiving needs
- Information about FCA's legal, education, counseling and respite services
- Assistance with long-term planning and support needs
- Personalized referral to local resources and community programs (support groups, adult daycare, home-care)
- Ongoing telephone support and consultation. (We do host an eight-hundred number: (800) 445-8106, as well as accept local—San Francisco Bay Area—calls at (415) 434-3388, but due to limited telephone support staff, we encourage you to fill out our online intake form for faster response to your caregiving needs.
Education and Support
We provide educational resources both online and printed (with our most popular fact sheets also available in Chinese, Spanish, Korean and Vietnamese).
- Fact sheets, tip sheets, and articles cover health conditions, care planning, legal issues and more.
- Our two newsletters keep you abreast of family caregiving news and events, and national policy issues affecting caregiving.
- Workshops and classes and retreats in the S.F. Bay Area help with stress management and teach practical skills (for health conditions and behaviors.)
- Groupo de Apoyo en Español - This is an in-person Spanish-speakers support group (general caregiving), which meets in San Francisco every 2nd Monday (Contact us for more info or to sign up.)
- Online Support Groups help caregivers share ideas, resources and concerns online.
FCA services are partially funded by the California Department of Health Care Services and five Area Agencies on Aging through the National Family Caregiver Support Program. Families, friends and caregivers also donate to Family Caregiver Alliance to help us continue our services. Services are available to caregivers regardless of race, ancestry, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, disability, income or age.